In 1907, land was purchased in the east end of Edmonton for a Jewish cemetery by Abe Cristall, and the Edmonton Chevra Kadisha was founded. As all the members of the Edmonton Chevra Kadisha were male, in 1920, a female Chevra Kadisha was begun to perform ceremonies for deceased women and to sew burial clothes. Around 1910, the Edmonton Chevra Kadisha began an association with Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home to provide hearses and transportation to the cemetery. Chevra Kadisha is a volunteer organization which follows the Jewish tradition of recognizing the egalitarian nature of death by burying all deceased Jewish members of a community in a white shroud and an unadorned coffin. Chevra Kadisha members prepare bodies for burial at the Chesed Shel Emes chapel near downtown Edmonton, and conduct services at the cemetery’s chapel. Edmonton Chevra Kadisha serves all denominations of Edmonton’s Jewish community. The Chevra Kadisha is an in-kind beneficiary of the Jewish Federation of Edmonton in that we send out their funeral announcements to the community, and list unveilings in the Federation's weekly e-newsletter, The Bridge.